Zonta Club of Sydney Inc
Located in the central business district of Sydney, New South Wales
Meets 3rd Wednesday for dinner
Members include teachers, lawyers, accountants, engineers in various specialist areas and volunteer workers, as well as a bespoke shoe maker and an author.
The Club in action
We celebrate the achievements of women and look to advance the educational and professional status of women by funding a number of awards and scholarships.
Annually, these include:
- an award to an outstanding woman completing her MBA at the University of Technology Sydney;
- an award to a final year of a Bachelor of Nursing female student at the University of Technology, Sydney demonstrating a high level of academic achievement and leadership; and
- a scholarship to a woman student at Women’s College, Sydney University who is studying engineering.
We advocate for women and children by undertaking a variety of local service activities, including:
- support to the Salvation Army’s Samaritan Accommodation for women who have been trafficked,
- assisting young indigenous women to attend a cultural awareness camp, and
- sponsoring two students in the Smith Family’s Learning for Life education program.
In support of advancing the health status of women, we provide women who have had breast cancer surgery with Zonta Breast Care Cushions, which make their recovery more comfortable.
We provide funds for Zonta International’s service projects, which in the Zonta 2008-2010 Biennium include:
- UNICEF’s Prevention of Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV in Rwanda;
- UNIFEM’s Safe Cities for Women Project in Guatemala City, Guatemala and San Salvador, El Salvador; and
- UNPA’s Reduction of Obstetric Fistula in Liberia.
Send an email to find out more about:
- a specific project we have done, proposing a project for us to undertake,
- receiving a Zonta Breast Care Cushion to assist recovery from breast surgery,
- coming to one of our functions membership or supporting the Club in some way, or
- eligibility for our prizes (best woman MBA student at UTS; international travel related to nursing at UTS; or scholarship for an engineering student at the Women’s College at Sydney University).