Service to advance the status of women
As a volunteer, community service organisation, service projects are integral to the objects of Zonta International and how we work to advance the status of women:
- Every Club undertakes projects to assist their own community.
- Selected projects are endorsed for special focus in District 24.
- Each biennium projects are funded by the Zonta International Foundation, using contributions from Clubs around the world.
District Endorsed Service Projects
For some years, projects have been endorsed for special focus in District 24.
Since 2005, this has been done by a vote at District Conference.
Zonta Clubs in the District individually choose whether to participate according to the priorities of the Club (by a vote in that Club).
By a unanimous vote, District 24 delegates to the District 24 Conference 2011 have again endorsed three projects for the forthcoming 2012-2014 Zonta Biennium, which begins at the close of the Zonta International Convention in Torino, Italy in July 2012.
The projects are:
- The Zonta Breast Care Cushion aids recovery from breast surgery. Providing these free to hospitals where breast surgery is done was first endorsed as a District 24 project in 2001 after beginning as a Club project, instigated by the Zonta Club of Botany Bay in 1995.
- The Zonta Birthing Kit, in cooperation with the Birthing Kit Foundation, an endorsed project also since 2005. The birthing kits are assembled by Zonta Clubs and others participating in the project, for distribution to assist women in developing countries in cooperation with international and local health authorities. The purpose of the kit is to reduce the infections of mother and child associated with childbirth.
- Support for Samaritan Accommodation, a refuge in Sydney specifically for women trafficked into Australia. This project was endorsed by District 24 for the first time, following several years of involvement in anti-trafficking advocacy and service initiatives by individual Clubs in District 24.