Because Zonta International is a volunteer community service organisation, an integral part of our objects and how we work is undertaking service projects:
- Every club undertakes projects to assist their own community, e.g. through fund raising for a local resource or a service delivered by someone else, or providing volunteer skills and resources directly
- Selected projects are endorsed for special focus in District 24
- Each biennium, projects are funded by the Zonta International Foundation, using contributions from clubs, Zontians and other donors around the world.
District Endorsed Service Projects
Since 2005, some projects have been endorsed by a vote at District Conference for support over the coming biennium. Zonta clubs in the District individually choose whether to participate in these particular projects according to the priorities of their club (by a vote in the club).
By unanimous vote, District 24 delegates to the District 24 Conference in 2015 endorsed theseprojects for the coming biennium :
- Zonta Breast Care Cushions which aid recovery from breast surgery. Providing these free to hospitals where breast surgery is done was first endorsed as a District 24 project in 2001 after beginning as a Club project, instigated by the Zonta Club of Botany Bay in 1995.
- Zonta Birthing Kit, designed to reduce the infections of mother and child associated with childbirth in developing countries with poor peri-natal facilities. The project, undertaken in cooperation with the Birthing Kit Foundation, has been an endorsed project since 2005, after beginning as a club project at the Zonta Club of Adelaide Hills. The birthing kits are assembled by Zonta clubs and others participating in the project, for distribution in cooperation with international and local health authorities.